San Francisco artistJacob Dhein was interested in art as a child. Crayons and colored pencils were his tools of expression. He spent hours intricately crafting drawings of comic book heroes and animals. By the time he graduated from high school, one of his drawings was exhibited on the wall of a local bank. It wasn’t until he was a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh that he decided to take a drawing class.
He found this so compelling that he continued with sculpture and painting. During this time he met several accomplished and influential artists who encouraged him to pursue a career in art.
Tc Farley, his advisor and sculpture professor, taught him about the struggle and dedication one needed to succeed as an artist.
Li Hu, his painting professor, showed him the professional side of the art market and what he needed to do if he wanted to paint for a living.
In 2006, Jacob graduated with a Bachelors of Fine Arts degree with an emphasis in Painting and Sculpture. He worked for several years after graduation, although still continued with his artwork, mainly doing portrait commissions. During this time he took workshops to enhance his skills with painters whose work he was interested in.
After two years, in 2009, Jacob dedicated himself to painting full time. Upon reflection he realized that there were missing elements in his artwork he needed to explore if he were ever to reach his goal of mastering the medium.
He searched for a school that had a renown faculty that excelled in the area of representational painting. He decided to get his Masters of Fine Arts at the Academy of Art University, San Francisco that he completed in 2013. In 2014, Jacob started teaching drawing and painting at the Academy of Art University, San Francisco.
Selected Exhibitions and Awards
- 2014 -Solo Exhibition, Christian Daniels Gallery, San Francisco CA;
- 2014 -30th Anniversary Show, Waterhouse Gallery, Santa Barbra, CA;
- 2014 -Edge of Realism, Abend Gallery, Denver, CO;
- 2014 -Bold Brush Award, Bold Brush Art Competition;
- 2014 -Urban Faces and Figures, Christian Daniels Gallery, San Francisco, CA;
- 2014 -Streets of San Francisco, Christian Daniels Gallery, San Francisco, CA;
- 2014 -An Italian Sojourn 2, Italian Cultural Institute Gallery, San Francisco, CA;
- 2013 -OPA Western Regional, South Wind Art Gallery, Topeka, KS;
- 2013 -Plein Air Group Show, Christian Daniels Gallery, San Francisco, CA;
- 2013 -Streets of San Francisco Group show, Christian Daniels Gallery, San Francisco, CA;
- 2013 -Salon International, Greenhouse Gallery, Cowboy and Indians Magazine Award of Excellence, San Antonio, TX;
- 2012 -OPA Western Regional, Denver, CO;
- 2012 -Spring show, Academy of Art, San Francisco, CA;
- 2012 -Renditions Gallery, Small works, Walnut Creek, CA;
- 2011 -Salon International, Greenhouse Gallery, San Antonio, TX;
- 2010 -Annual Members Exhibition, West Bend Art Museum, West Bend, WI;
- 2010 -The Glass Blower and The Painter, Cultural Center, Wisconsin Rapids, WI;
- 2010 -Richeson Life Drawing: Open Studio Exhibition, First Place, Kimberly, WI;
- 2010 -Richeson 75 Portrait, juried show, Kimberly, WI;
- 2010 -Secura Fine Art Exhibition, juried show, Two Honorable Mentions, Appleton, WI;
- 2010 -Richeson 75 Small Works, juried show, Best of Show, Kimberly, WI;
- 2009 -Richeson 75 Landscape, Seascapes and Architecture, juried show, Best of Show, Kimberly, WI;
- 2009 -Artists for ARC, Art off Main gallery, Auction for funding for individuals with disabilities, Oshkosh, WI;
- 2008 -Alexander House Exhibition, Port Edwards;
- 2007 -Colorama, juried show, Best of show, Wisconsin Rapids, WI.
- 2013 MFA, Drawing and Painting, Academy of Art, San Francisco, CA
- 2006 BFA, Painting and Sculpture, University of Oshkosh, WI
- Brian Sherwin, Art Talk on the Edge: Interview with Jacob Dhein, The Art Edge, December 2014;
- Show Preview, Southwest Art, December 2014;
- Real People, American Art Collector, December 2013, Page 106-107;
- Dhruba RC, Sketches from the Book of Life by Jacob Dhein, Lucky Compiler, October 2013;
- Plein Air Showcase, American Art Collector, July 2013, Page 140-141;
- Bonnie Gangeloff, Artist to Watch Southwest Art May 2013 page 24;
- Twelve Years Strong, American Art Collector, April 2013, page 140;
- What's in a Face? American Artist Drawing, Spring 2012, page 66.