Stephen Cefalo is an American artist in the traditions of Symbolism and the Baroque. He was born in the hometown of Albrecht Durer (Nurnberg, Germany) on the birthday of his heroes, Winslow Homer, Charles Le Brun and Franz Von Stuck, and felt a calling from early childhood to become a painter. Stephen and his two sisters were raised in Newburgh, Indiana by a single mother who worked full-time at a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant. His aunt Marilyn gave him oil painting lessons at twelve, and his mother bought him books on figure drawing and supplies when she found them.
During his undergraduate studies at the former Savannah Campus of the School of Visual Arts, Cefalo found mentors in Jeff Markowsky and Anthony Palliser. When SVA Savannah closed its doors in 1997, he was already married with his first child, and moved to the main campus in New York. There he studied with one of his heroes, Steven Assael, and Max Ginsburg. After graduation Stephen continued to study privately with Assael, and completed his graduate studies in Painting in 2004 at Indiana University in Bloomington.
Formerly an instructor at the Art Academy of Cincinnati and the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, Stephen currently paints full-time in New York City.
- 2004 MFA, Indiana University • Bloomington, IN;
- 1999-2001 Independent Study with Steven Assael, New York, NY;
- 1999-2000 Studio Assistant, Jeff Koons, New York, NY;
- 1999 BFA, School of Visual Arts, New York, NY;
- 2004 MFA, Indiana University • Bloomington, IN.
Selected solo exhibitions:
- 2015 - Stephen Cefalo: "Recent Musings", Gallery 26, Little Rock, AR;
- 2013 - Historic Arkansas Museum, Little Rock, AR;
- "The World is Flat", Gallery 26, Little Rock, AR;
- 2012 - "Dream, Float, Burn", Recent paintings, Gallery 26, Little Rock, AR;
- 2011 - "Stephen Cefalo: Dreams", Ann Nathan Gallery, Chicago, IL;
- 2010 - Ann Nathan Gallery, Chicago, IL;
- 2009 - Norton Arts, Little Rock, AR;
- 2007 - Sarah Bain Gallery, Anaheim, CA.
Selected group exhibitions:
- "Penumbra", Matrix Gallery, Albuquerque, NM;
- "Black Friday Show", Maxwell Alexander Gallery, Culver City, CA;
- "Beyond the Surface", Principle Gallery, Alexandria, VA;
- "From Motion to Stillness", Zhou B Art Center Galleries, Chicago IL.
- Bluecanvas Launch Event, Exchange LA, Los Angeles, California;
- Between Realities, principle Gallery, Alexandria, VA;
- Sarah Bain Gallery, Small Works, Anaheim, CA;
- Klaudia Marr Gallery, 13th Annual Realism Invitational, Santa Fe, NM;
- American Artists Professional League, Inc., Salmagundi Club, Seventy-Eighth Grand National Exhibition, New York, NY
- Ann Nathan Gallery, Winter Show, Chicago, IL;
- Cincinnati Art Museum, Portrait Miniatures - Cincy Style, Cincinnati, OH;
- Fort Wayne Museum of Art, 2006 Biennial: Contemporary American Realism, Fort Wayne, IN.
- Miller Gallery, Objects of Desire XIV, Cincinnati, OH;
- Miller Gallery, The Anniversary Show, Cincinnati, OH;
- Miller Gallery, The Nude Show: Heavenly Bodies, Cincinnati, OH.
- Koplin Del Rio Gallery, Drawings VII, West Hollywood, CA;
- Circle Gallery, Go Figure Exhibition, Annapolis, MD;
- Miller Gallery, Small Works, Cincinnati, OH.
- Swope Art Museum, 59th Annual Wabash Valley Juried Exhibition, (Juried by Mr. Lawrence Rinder, Curator of Contemporary Art, Whitney Museum of American Art), Terre Haute, IN.
- 2013 - Arkansas Times Best of Arkansas, "Best Artist", Little Rock, AR;
- 2012 - Weekend With the Masters Scholarship, San Diego, CA;
- 2012 - Finalist, International 2011-2012 Art Renewal Center Salon;
- 2006-2009 - Artist-In-Residence Grant, University of Arkansas at Little Rock;
- 2003-2004 - Indian University Grant in-aid-of research award;
- 2003-2004 - Indiana University Arts & Science Scholarship;
- 2003 - Dr. Harriet McNeil Award of Distinction • Swope Art Museum • Terre Haute, IN.