Christian Fagerlund was born in Ann Arbor, MI. He received his BA from the University of California - Santa Barbara in 1994 and his MFA from the New York Academy of Art in 2004, where he received the NYAA Postgraduate Fellowship. In 2009, 2010, and 2011 he was artist-in-residence at Eden Rock Gallery on the island of St. Barths, French West Indies. Since 2004 his work has been shown both nationally and internationally in several solo and group exhibitions. He currently shows work with Arcadia Contemporary in Los Angeles and Winfield Gallery in Carmel, California.
Prior to his appointment at UNT, he served as adjunct instructor of Drawing and Painting at University of California - Berkeley Extension, Ohlone College in Fremont, CA, and The School of Classical Realism in Oakland, CA from 2007-2014. During this period he taught courses in: figure drawing/painting, anatomy for artists, still life, perspective, plein air landscape painting, and digital painting.
- NEW YORK ACADEMY OF ART, Graduate School of Figurative Art, New York, NY. MFA in Painting (cum laude). 2002-2005
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, Santa Barbara, CA. BA in Art Studio, Painting Emphasis. 1991-1995
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA - Berkeley, CA. Extension Program: Anatomy for the Artist, Figure Drawing, Figure Painting, Drawing Fundamentals;
- OHLONE COLLEGE, Fremont, CA: Descriptive Drawing, Painting;
- The Atelier School of Classical Realism: Oakland, CA.Drawing
- PRIVATE STUDIO WORKSHOPS: Figure Drawing/Painting, Color, Plein Air Painting, Still-life Painting.
- 2011 Reflection, Eden Rock Gallery, St Barthelemy, F.W.I.
- 2011 Please Swipe Again, Sloan Fine Art, New York, NY.
- 2010 Recent Works, Solo Exhibition, galleryB, Sag Harbor, NY.
- 2010 Light and Land, Solo Exhibition, Eden Rock Gallery, St Barthelemy, F.W.I.
- 2009 pacific, Solo Exhibition, Eden Rock Gallery, St Barthelemy, F.W.I.
- 2009 People, Louie Meager Art Gallery, Fremont, CA.
- 2008 Reality, Louie Meager Art Gallery, Fremont, CA.
- 2008 Selected Works, Winfield Gallery, Carmel, CA.
- 2008 Summer Exhibition, Jurors: Will Cotton, Nicola Hicks, David Salle, NYAA, New York, NY.
- 2007 Small is Beautiful, Flowers Gallery, New York, NY.
- 2007 Homecoming, NYAA, New York, NY.
- 2007 DRAW, Fuse Gallery, New York, NY.
- 2007 Summer Exhibition, Jurors: Jenny Saville, Eric Fischl, Vince Desiderio, NYAA, New York, NY.
- 2007 Travel-Sized: Small works by American Artists, Eden Rock, St. Barthelemy, F.W.I.
- 2007 Place as Object, Figure and Landscape curated by April Gornik, Eden Rock, St. Barthelemy, F.W.I.
- 2006 Group Exhibition, 5+5 Gallery, Brooklyn, NY.
- 2006 113 Ryerson, Solo Exhibition, 5+5 Gallery, Brooklyn, NY.
- 2005 Group Exhibition, 5+5 Gallery, Brooklyn, NY.
- 2005 Fellows Exhibition 2005: NYAA, New York, NY.
- 2005 The Language of Drawing II: Medialia Gallery, New York, NY.
- 2005 Take Home a Nude: Phillips, de Pury & Company, New York, NY.
- 2004 Thesis Exhibition: NYAA, New York, NY.
- 2004 NYAA Student Exhibition: NYAA, New York, NY.
- 2009, 2010, 2011 Artist's residency: Eden Rock Gallery, St. Barths;
- 2004 Post-Graduate Fellowship: New York Academy of Art;
- 2004 Travel grant to Normandy, France at the Château de Balleroy: HRH the Prince of Wales, Forbes Foundation;
- 2003 Academic Scholarship Award: New York Academy of Art;
- 2001 Best in Show: Juried Exhibition, Santa Barbara City College.