Plaude Weisbuch (1927-2014) was born in Thionville, France and was a pupil at L'École des Beaux-Arts in Nancy. As a painter, engraver, and exceptional lithographer, Claude Weisbuch has painted active motifs, such as musicians, horses, characters. Dominating in his work, by the relief and the velvety line which characterizes dry-point, his etchings are the strongest representations of his figures, intensely lively after 1960s.
Pubblicato il 30/04/16 ed Aggiornato il
Francis De Lassus Saint-Genies is a French artist born in Brittany at Val André in 1925. After his studies at Julian's Academy in Paris, he dedicates himself for a long time to the portrait. In search of the secret character of his models, he has to reach a very personal expression where the outer world, often inversed, encloses the reflection of the individual mystery.
The Art of Painting, also known as The Allegory of Painting, or Painter in his Studio, is a 17th-century oil on canvas painting by Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer. Many art historians believe that it is an allegory of painting, hence the alternative title of the painting. After Vermeer's Christ in the House of Martha and Mary it is the largest work by the master. Its composition and iconography also make it the most complex Vermeer work of all.
Pubblicato il 29/04/16 ed Aggiornato il
Angel De Cáceres García is an spanish Pastel Portrait and figurative painter, with the use of chiaroscuro applied to the treatment of the figure, either in portrait or bust in full body. "I generally use as support black paper mounted on board, allowing this key work not only as background for each job, but also as an underlying melt when the colors and set different types of shadows value. Key to this is the use I make of the texture of the paper, whose relief allows me to get, also, an effect of 'vibration' similar to the 'scrubbed' in oil painting on canvas".
France Honors Greek Artist Alekos Fassianos
Acclaimed Greek artist Alekos Fassianos, who has studied in Paris for 35 years, received one of the greatest honors of the French Republic a few days ago at the French Embassy in Athens.
In his brief greeting after receiving the award of the “Celebrities of the Officer of the Legion of Honor” by the French Ambassador Jean - Louis Delfosse, Alekos Fasianos expressed his gratitude to the country that allowed him to show his talent.
Alekos Fassianos, officier de la Légion d’honneur, 2013
Pubblicato il 28/04/16 ed Aggiornato il
Born in Nice in 1929, thanks to his childhood spended in the sun, French painter Claude Hemeret grew fondling southern lights and scents fed him and quenched his thirst. His canvases recall the lavender’s perfume, cypresses, and the blazing Sun at noon.
Alvar Suñol Munoz-Ramos was born in Montgat, a Cataluñan city near Barcelona, on January 29, 1935. He started painting at 12, and at 17, he was accepted into the Escuela Superior de Bellas Artes de San Jorge in Barcelona. At 18, Alvar entered a painting into a competition for the Young Painters Prize sponsored by the City of Barcelona. His painting won the grand prize and it is now in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in Barcelona. His first one-man exhibition in Barcelona was in 1957.
Canadian painter Lyne Lafontaine: "Between reality and imaginary, I explore a world where human faces are at the center of my artworks.
My universe moves around symbolism, fantasy, onirism and feminity. Sensitivity and liberty must prevail upon all. To me, facial expressions and human feelings have always been a great fascination and an endless source of inspiration.
Self taught, I’ve been drawing since my very early age. I make drawings mostly using graphite, but I also use color pencil and ink.
It is with wonder and astonishment that I realize to what extent fluidity can come from the simple line of a pencil.
Drawing and oil painting are my preferred mediums. They give me the array of possibilities I’m looking for. This avenue is vital for me".
The Danaë (or Danaë and the Shower of Gold) series comprises at least five oil-on-canvas paintings by the Venetian master Titian, completed between 1540-1570. The works are based on the mythological princess Danaë. According to Ovid she was isolated in a bronze dungeon following a prophecy that her firstborn would eventually kill her father. Although aware of the consequences, Danaë was seduced and became pregnant by Zeus (in Roman mythology Jupiter), who, inflamed by lust, descended from Mount Olympus to entice her as a shower of gold.
Titian 1564 Danae Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna
Titian 1564 Danae Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna (detail)
Pubblicato il 27/04/16 ed Aggiornato il
California plein air impressionist Sharon Burkett Kaiser engages collectors with paintings consumed with harmonious color, beauty, and the complex relationship of light and form. The artist's developed knowledge of color comes from a keen inner sense and from years of study with prominent artists/instructors Sergei Bongart (1918-1985), Charles Movalli, and Sunny Apinchapong Yang. This valuable guidance, along with influences including Iliya Repin (1844-1930) and Valentin Serov (1865-1911), has yielded striking original paintings filled with fresh color, depth, and vitality. Sharon was born in San Rafael, California.
Pubblicato il 26/04/16 ed Aggiornato il
Titian painted five images of Venus and music, but those five variations on a single theme were not made for the same client, nor intended to be exhibited together. Set in a villa, they show Venus reclining before a large window. At her feet, an organist (in the versions at the Museo del Prado and the Staatliche Museen in Berlin) or a lutenist (at the Metropolitan Museum of New York and the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge) play their instrument as they contemplate the goddess’s nudity.
Titian Venus and Music, 1550
Pubblicato il 25/04/16 ed Aggiornato il
Orpheus by Italian sculptor Cristoforo Stati /Cristofano da Bracciano (1556-1619), famous for taming beasts with his music, is here shown entertaining himself, his body swaying to the sound of the lira da braccio.
The statue was carved for the Palazzo Corsi, Florence. | © The Metropolitan Museum of Art
The frescoes with the Last Supper are among the most interesting artistic monuments in Florence. As a result of the suppressions of religious orders which took place in the 18th and 19th century, a great many Florentine convents have been turned into museums. In them visitors can directly experience the art of the several excellent painters who in various periods have sought to express the beguiling spirituality of the Last Supper which Christ took with His disciples.
Franciabigio (1482-1525) was a Florentine artist, who closely associated with, though had a distinct style from, his colleague Andrea del Sarto (1486-1531). He was born Francesco di Cristofano, but was called Marcantonio Franciabigio or Francia Bigio. Some of his works now known were once attributed to his contemporary Raphael (1483-1520). He was highly praised for his painting of frescoes.
Pubblicato il 24/04/16 ed Aggiornato il
Paul Horton was born in Harborne, Birmingham. "- Looking back on my childhood it seems I was always drawing and painting, I think it was my destiny to become an artist. By the mid-seventies I was taking my art very seriously and studied Life Drawing and History of Art at Bournville School of Art, I also began exhibiting my work at regular intervals.
I was awarded a Certficate of Merit in 1976 by the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists which gave me my first critical acclaim and in a strange way seemed to seal my fate adding to my determination and desire to become a professional artist.
In the summer of 1772 Zoffany set off for Florence with £300, letters of introduction and a commission from the Queen to paint highlights of the Grand Duke of Tuscany's collection shown within the Tribuna of the Uffizi Palace. The inspiration for the commission could have been the Cabinet of Paintings (Royal Collection, now given to Formentrou), then attributed to Gonzales Coques, which hung in Queen Charlotte's work-room at Kew.
Pubblicato il 23/04/16 ed Aggiornato il
James Wiens is a professional artist who grew up in British Columbia. This avid outdoorsman uses his paintings to express his love of landscapes and nature. He also uses them as a mean of communication through which he expresses his feelings to his viewers. What inspire his paintings are the dramatic mountains and rivers that surround his place of residence. Wiens joined the Emily Carr College of Art and Design in Vancouver where he studied and graduated with a diploma in painting and printmaking. He has combined his formal education with the work ethic he gained on his family farm to advance his professional career as an artist.
Pubblicato il 22/04/16 ed Aggiornato il
Antonio was born in Madrid, Spain. His father wanted him to paint and eventually to continue family tradition and become either a painter or a designer. His father studied in a school of a great Spanish painter, José Arpa Y Perea (Sevilla, 1860-1952), who was well known not only in Europe but also in the United States of America.
Amedeo Bocchi (August 24, 1883 - December 16, 1976) was an Italian painter, active mainly in Rome.
He was born in Parma to a father who worked in painting wall decorations. At the age of 12 years, he was enrolled in the Royal Institute of Fine Arts of Parma, under the direction of Cecrope Barilli. In 1901, at the age of 18 years he was graduated, and Barili prompted him to travel to Rome to the Scuola del Nudo on Via Ripetta.
Pubblicato il 21/04/16 ed Aggiornato il
Myles Sullivan spends his days working from his West Coast studio. Surrounded by the serenity of the countryside he creates works that capture the energy of the world around us.
After graduating from Art School, Myles experimented with his art career, painting in a variety of styles and mediums. Today, he focuses on compositions that capture a fleeting moment in time.
When not painting, Myles escapes to the wilderness of the back country. His wife and children are a constant source of inspiration and joy.
Christophe-Gabriel Allegrain (11 October 1710 - 1795) was a French sculptor who tempered a neoclassical style with Rococo charm and softness, under the influence of his much more famous brother-in-law, Jean-Baptiste Pigalle.
Allegrain was born into a well-established family of landscape painters in Paris.
His single most famous work, a marble Bather (La Baigneuse), was commissioned for the royal residences through the Bâtiments du Roi in 1755; a modelled sketch was shown at the Salon of 1757.
Vasari’s life is intimately rooted in the Uffizi Gallery. With five of his paintings in various rooms throughout the museum, he also chronicled the lives the Renaissance artists that fill the Gallery, but even more importantly, he laid the original architectural design for the Palazzo degli Uffizi.
An acclaimed artist and architect of his time, Vasari is perhaps better known today for his invaluable tome of biographies, Le Vita delle più eccellenti pittori, scultori, ed architettori (Lives of the Most Excellent Painters, Sculptors and Architects) or simply the Vite or Lives of Artists. The book, dedicated to his friend and patron, the Grand Duke of Tuscany, Cosimo I de’ Medici (1519-1574), chronicles the evolution of Italy’s Renaissance through the greatest artists of the period.
Giorgio Vasari Allegory of Romagna
Pubblicato il 20/04/16 ed Aggiornato il
Mikhailichenko Sergey Viktorovich / Михайличенко Сергей Викторович is an Ukrainian painter, born in Tashkent. He graduated from the Tashkent Republican XY. Studied with M. Dimov, 1990. For some time he worked in Italy.
Since 1996 lives and works in Sumy.
His works are in numerous private collections in Ukraine, Russia, Italy, Germany, Japan and the UK.
Pubblicato il 19/04/16 ed Aggiornato il
Born and raised in New Orleans, Ann Feldman is a painter and art instructor living in Barrington, Illinois. Her art education began at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and she continued her studies in the ateliers of some of the leading contemporary artists in the United States today, namely a five year mentorship with Margaret Carter Baumgaertner in portraiture.
Eliot Hodgkin (19 June 1905-30 May 1987) was an British painter, born in Purley Lodge, Purley-on-Thames near Pangbourne, Berkshire.
Although he began with oil painting, most of his best known works were highly detailed still lifes executed in tempera.
- Early life
Curwen Eliot Hodgkin was born on 19 June 1905, the only son of Charles Ernest Hodgkin and of his wife Alice Jane (née Brooke). The Hodgkins were a Quaker family and were related to Roger Fry. Eliot, a cousin of the abstract painter Howard Hodgkin (b. 1932) was educated at Harrow School from 1919-1923. His artistic life started in London at the Byam Shaw School of Art and at the Royal Academy Schools under Francis Ernest Jackson.
French artist Alexandre Louis Jacob (1876-1972) was born in Paris in 1876. His landscape paintings are characterized by a serene mood and muted palette.
Jacob started exhibiting his works in the various French Salons in 1899.
He was a member of the Society of French Artists, the French Water Color Federation of Artists, and the Society of French Landscape Painters and Sculptors.
He was also a member of the Salon d’Hiver and an honorable member of Lagny. He was an officer of L’Instruction Publique as well.
- Claude WeisBuch | Impressionist /Modern Painter /L...
- Francis De Saint-Genies, 1925 | Surrealist / Symbo...
- Johannes Vermeer | The Allegory of Painting, 1666 ...
- Angel De Cáceres García, 1966 | Figurative /Portra...
- Alekos Fassianos /Αλέκος Φασιανός, 1935 | Expressi...
- Claude Hemeret, 1929 | Expressionist /Impressionis...
- Alvar Suñol, 1935 | Figurative Cubist /Abstract pa...
- Lyne Lafontaine, 1959 | Symbolist /Fantasy painter...
- Titian | Danaë series, 1540-1570 | Art in Detail
- Sharon Burkett Kaiser, 1946 | Plein air / Landscap...
- Titian | Venus with the Musician series | Art in D...
- Cristoforo Stati | Orpheus with Violin, 1600-1601 ...
- Franciabigio | The Last Supper / L'Ultima cena, 15...
- Franciabigio | Renaissance painter
- Paul Horton, 1958 | Storyteller artist
- Johan Zoffany | The Tribuna of the Uffizi, 1772-17...
- James Wiens | Abstract painter
- Antonio Tordesillas, 1960 | Figurative painter
- Amedeo Bocchi | Figurative Realist Painter /Sculpt...
- Myles Sullivan | Figurative painter
- Christophe-Gabriel Allegrain | Rococo Era sculptor...
- Giorgio Vasari | Mannerist painter | Allegory of i...
- Mikhailichenko Sergey Viktorovich, 1970 | Plein Ai...
- Ann Feldman | Portrait / Figure / Still Life /Pale...
- Eliot Hodgkin | Modern Still Life painter
- Alexandre-Louis Jacob | Landscape painter
- Auguste Rodin | Victor Hugo et les Muses, 1890
- Leonardo da Vinci | Della pittura e della poesia |...
- Jean Mannheim | Plein air painter
- Simon Bull, 1958 | Abstract painter
- Fernando Pedrosa, 1947 | Hyperrealist Figurative p...
- Cathrine Edlinger-Kunze | Abstract Figurative pain...
- Peter Hobden, 1952 | Figurative Impressionist pain...
- James Carroll Beckwith | Academic painter
- The Head of Franz Kafka by David Černý | Public Ar...
- Botticelli | Venus and Mars, c. 1483 | Art in Deta...
- Rembrandt | Venus and Cupid, 1640-1660 | Art in De...
- Paul Corfield, 1970 | Naive Landscape painter
- Rembrandt | Saul and David, 1655-1660 | Art in Det...
- Wyndham Lewis | Vorticism Art Movement (1912-1915)...
- John Melhuish Strudwick | Pre-Raphaelite painter
- Pier Augusto Breccia, 1943 | Hermeneutic painting ...
- Rett Ashby, 1961 | Plein Air painter
- Rembrandt | Danaë, 1636 | Art in Detail
- Davide Cambrìa, 1986 | Abstract Portrait painter
- Rembrandt | Adoration of the Magi, 1632 | Art in D...
- Victor Nizovtsev /Виктор Низовцев, 1965 | Fantasy ...
- Titti Garelli,1948 | Pop Surrealism /Gothic style ...
- Denis Sarazhin /Денис Саражин, 1982 | Contemporary...
- Giuliana Lazzerini | Tuscan landscape
- William Oxer | Abstract Romantic /Classical style ...
- Vu Cao Dam | Modern Figurative painter
- Natasha Foucault | Silk painter /Pittura su seta
- Liseth Visser | Classical Realist painter
- Vladımir Sukovantuh, 1953 | Impressionist Landscap...
- Gianni De Conno, 1957 | Surrealist Illustrator
- Dave Denson | Pastel Cityscape painter
- Ann Marie Bone, 1964 | Abstract Landscape painter
- Alexandra Tyng, 1954 | Figurative Realist painter
- Terry Strickland | Figurative Realist painter
- Aurelio Bruni, 1955 | Hyperrealist /Symbolist pain...
- Dario Maglionico, 1986 | Surrealist Figurative pai...
- Maria Serafina Tribunella, 1955 | Tuscan Garden
- Celestin Messaggio, 1952 | Impressionist Palette K...
- Vito Campanella | Surrealism /Metaphysics painter
- Kieron Williamson, 2002 | Impressionist Watercolou...
- Fabio Colussi, 1957 | Post-Impressionism Seascape ...
- Ng Woon Lam / 黄运南, 1971 | Watercolour Abstract /Im...
- Frida Kahlo | Quotes /Aforismi
- Andrea Mantegna | La Camera degli Sposi, 1465-1474...
- Edgar Degas | Realist/Impressionist painter and sc...
- ▼ aprile (71)
- ► 2015 (509)
- ► 2014 (391)
- ► 2013 (588)
- ► 2012 (838)
- ► 2011 (541)