“As I paint, I recall memories from my youth, visiting relatives and playing in barns and old houses. I enjoy the history of old houses in the rural west and researching the history of those who lived there. My oil paintings represent this history, both my own and that of others, as I strive to capture the fundamental beauty that is inherent in these rural lands and structures” - Rett Ashby.
Rett Ashby was born in the small town of Rigby Idaho and soon after relocated to Roy, Utah. His earliest artistic influence came from his mother, Sandra Ashby, a professional watercolorist, from whom he learned the basics of fine art. Rett continued his education in art throughout grade school and into college at Weber State University and Utah State University. He studied with Artists such as Harrison Groutage, Glen Edwards, and LeConte Stewart. Rett is constantly studying his influences (Schmid, Hullings, many old world masters, etc.) and continues to experiment and hone his own style.
Rett is constantly studying his influences (Schmid, Hullings, many old world masters, etc.) and continues to experiment and hone his own style.
- February 1985- Myra Powell Gallery (Odgen, Utah);
- September 1991- Demonstrating Artist and Show- Shadow Mountain Gallery (Jackson, Wyoming);
- May 2006 - Statewide Show- Eccles Community Art Center (Juried);
- August 2006 - Second Annual LeConte Stewart Country Paint Out (People’s Choice Award);
- March 2007 - One Man Show- Apple Frame Gallery (Bountiful, Utah);
- May 2007 - Statewide Show- Ogden Eccles Community Art Center (Juried);
- September 2007 - Third Annual LeConte Stewart Country Paint Out (People’s Choice Award);
- January 2008 - One Man Show – Covey Center for the Arts (Provo, Utah);
- March 2008 - One Man Show- Gallery at the Station (Ogden, Ut);
- March 2009 - Mother and Son show- Eccles Community Art Center (Ogden);
- November 2009 - Big small Works Show-Brownstone Gallery (Provo, Ut).