"I don’t necessarily try to convey a specific story, I just want people to have the same curiosity about the subject that I did".
Brian Slawson has been working as a professional artist since 1992 both in the commercial and fine art fields.
He is a Signature member of the Oil Painters of America.
In 2006 he devoted himself full time to fine art.
Brian works in oils in a contemporary realist style in which his primary focus is on capturing the mood of the subject. He is attracted to subjects that look as though they have a story to tell, a history.
It is this quest for mood in his work that has made Brian a favorite among collectors. His work is in private, public and corporate collections nationwide.
In 2006, The Grand Canyon Association purchased Brian’s painting titled "Canyon Magic" for their permanent collection.
Brian was influenced at an early age by artistic parents and the works of the old masters.
He is a self taught artist.
He exhibits regularly in the Oil Painters of America's regional and national shows.
Brian has received awards from the Oil Painters of America and the Arts for the Parks among others.
Brian paints both rural and urban landscapes but is also comfortable painting still life.
Shows and Awards
- 2015 - Oil Painters of America Western Regional, Wild Horse Gallery, Steamboat Springs, CO, Award of Excellence;
- 2014 - Oil Painters of America Western Regional, Mountainsong Galleries, Carmel, CA;
- 2013 - Fine Art Studio Online Bold Brush Competition, Best of Show;
- 2013 - Lovetts Gallery, Tulsa OK, Take Me There, a 3 Person Show;
- 2012 - Waterhouse Gallery, Santa Barbara, CA, City Lights Exhibition;
- 2012 - Waterhouse Gallery, Santa Barbara, CA, Small Gems Exhibition;
- 2011 - Feature Aticle, Southwest Art Magazine;
- 2011 - Artist in Residence, Rocky Mountain National Park;
- 2011 - Kansas Masters Invitational;
- 2011 - Scottsdale Salon, Legacy Gallery, Scottsdale, AZ;
- 2010 - Fine Art Studio Online Bold Brush Competition, Best of Show;
- 2010 - Paint the Parks National Exhibition, Directors Choice Award;
- 2010 - Oil Painters of America National Juried Exhibition, Legacy Gallery, Scottsdale, AZ.;
- 2010 - Salon International, Jury's Top 60 Award, Greenhouse Gallery, San Antonio, TX.;
- 2010 - Anniversary Show, Howard Mandville Gallery, Kirkland, WA.;
- 2009 - 19th Annual Invitational Small Works Show, Howard Mandville Gallery, Kirkland, WA.;
- 2009 - Fine Art Studio Online -August Contest 2nd Place;
- 2009 - Booth Western Art Museum - Painting the Canyon, Cartersville, GA;
- 2009 - The Artist Magazine Annual Competition Finalist;
- 2009 - Oil Painters of America Western Regional Exhibition Kirkland, Washington;
- 2009 - Kansas Masters' Invitational Art Show;
- 2009 - Oil Painters of America National Juried Exhibition Sage Creek Gallery, Santa Fe, New Mexico;
- 2008 - Awarded Signature Status in the Oil Painters of America;
- 2008 - Oil Painters of America Western Regional Exhibition Coeur d'Alene, Idaho;
- 2008 - The Artist Magazine Annual Competition Finalist;
- 2008 - Oil Painters of America National Exhibition Missoula, Montana;
- 2007 - Oil Painters of America Central Regional;
- 2007 - Oil Painters of America National Exhibition;
- Daler Rowney Award of Excellence ;
- 2007 - Kansas Masters' Invitational Art Show;
- 2007 - Kansas Governor's Inaugural Exhibit;
- 2007 - Grand! The Art of Arizona’s Magnificent Canyon, Desert Caballeros Western Museum;
- 2006 - Arts for the Parks Region 2 Winner;
- 2006 - Arts for the Parks Grand Canyon Association Purchase Award;
- 2005 - Oil Painters of America Central Regional Best Associate Member;
- 2005 - Overland Park Art at the Center;
- 2004 - Arts For The Parks top 200.