Award winning and professional oil painter artist, Ingrid Christensen, was born and raised in Golden, a small town in British Columbia, Canada. She studied art and English at UBC in Vancouver and received an Education degree from Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, and, for a time, taught in the public school system. But art was always Ingrid's primary passion, and she quit teaching in order to pursue it wholeheartedly.
After studying silversmithing in Thailand, and jewelry making and ceramics in Calgary, Ingrid finally settling on painting when she discovered that it was all that she had been searching for. She taught herself to paint, first in watercolour, and then in oils, by reading artists' biographies, art history books, and every how-to book in the library system.
Ingrid is inspired by the Impressionists because of their fascination with the effect of light on colour. Her favourite subjects are figures and landscapes, with a special interest in images of figures in water. This last subject allows her to explore the complexity of light, both direct and reflected, as well as the bravura brushwork that has become her signature. Her bold and colourful paintings have won honours and awards in both international and national exhibitions.
Ingrid teaches oil painting at the Calgary School of Art in Calgary, Alberta and workshops in Alberta, British Columbia, and Mexico.
She is represented by: RendezvousGallery,Vancouver, BC, Tutt Art Gallery, Kelowna, BC., Oceanside Gallery, Qualicum Beach, BC, Roux and Cyr International Fine Art Gallery, Portland, Maine.
Ingrid's paintings are held in the offices of the Alberta Pharmacy Association, who comissioned her to create their Centennial artwork, The Alberta Foundation for the Arts, and in private collections throughout the world.
Artistic Achievements and Awards
- 2014 - "Small Works" Roux and Cyr International Fine Art Gallery, Portland, Maine;
- 2014 - Article published International Artist Magazine Aug/Sept edition;
- 2014 - "Seasons", Rendezvous Art Gallery, Vancouver, BC;
- 2014 - "Scottsdale Salon of Fine Art", Scottsdale, AZ;
- 2013 - Profiled: "Artist to Collect" Summer edition of Arabella Art and Architecture Magazine;
- 2012 - "Autumn in the Okanagan" group exhibition, Tutt Art Gallery, Kelowna, BC;
- 2012 - Honourable Mention "FCA Classic" national exhibition, FCA COC Kelowna, BC;
- 2011 - "Small Gems" group exhibition, Rendezvous Gallery, Vancouver, BC;
- 2011 - "Peaks of the Canadian Rockies" ASA travelling exhibiton, Alberta;
- 2011 - Award of Excellence TNSC Exhibition, Kamloops, BC;
- 2011 - "9th Annual Juried Member's Show", Calgary, Alberta;
- 2010 - "Let it Snow" , group exhibition, Collector's Gallery, Calgary, Alberta;
- 2010 - Winner: Gold Medal, "Art Visions 2010 Exhibition", juried national FCA Exhibition, Kelowna, British Columbia;
- 2010 - Commission: Centennial art commission for Alberta Pharmacy Association;
- 2010 - "New Arrivals" group exhibition, Collector's Gallery, Calgary, Alberta;
- 2010 - "8th Annual Juried Member's Show", The Leighton Art Centre, Calgary, Alberta;
- 2010 - "New Members New Work", ASA Exhibition, Calgary, Alberta;
- 2009 - Winner: Gold Medal, "Art Visions 2009 Exhibition", juried national FCA Exhibition, Kelowna, British Columbia;
- 2009 - Group exhibition, Collector's Gallery of Art, Calgary, Alberta;
- 2009 - Artists' Window. Calgary Stampede, Calgary, Alberta;
- 2009 - Winner: Prix Chapeau, "Symposium International Jean-Paul Lapointe", Chicoutimi, Quebec;
- 2009 - "7th Annual Juried Members' Exhibition", Leighton Art Centre, Calgary, Alberta;
- 2008 - "Christmas in the Country", Leighton Art Centre, Calgary, Alberta;
- 2008 - First Place "Journey into Art" show, Leighton Art Centre, Calgary, Alberta;
- 2008 - Artist's Window, Calgary Stampede, Calgary, Alberta;
- 2007 - FCA national "Human Figure" show, Vancouver, B.C;
- 2006 - Juror’s Choice FCA Tuscany exhibition, Calgary, Alberta.