Following a 20-year career in New York City as an architect and architectural artist, Tom Schaller is now based in Los Angeles, California where he devotes himself full-time to artwork in the watercolor medium.
He has long been considered one of the foremost architectural artists in the world. In the field, he has won every major award for his artwork - including being a two-time recipient of the Hugh Ferriss Memorial Prize. He has authored two books; the best-selling, and AIA award of merit winner, Architecture in Watercolor, and The Art of Architectural Drawing. He is increasingly in demand internationally to conduct his watercolor workshop series, "The Architecture of Light": also the title of his next book currently in progress.
Recently, his artwork has been recognized in the upcoming Splash 13, Splash 14, Splash 15, and Splash Retrospective Books by North Light Books (Aug. 2012, 2013, 2014), a feature article and the cover art for "International Artist" magazine (Oct./Nov. 2011), a feature article and the cover art for "Watercolor Artist" magazine (April 2012); a feature article in "Southwest Art" magazine (Aug. 2012); feature article and cover image "Decor Magazine": Norway; feature article and interview (Feb. 2012) for "Creative Catalyst Productions", a feature article in “American Artist” magazine (April 2010); a finalist in "The Artist's Magazine" 28th Annual Art Competition Issue (Dec. 2011); a winner in "Southwest Art" Magazine's Artistic Excellence Competition (Dec 2011).
His work has been showcased several times in “American Art Collector” magazine; most recently, a feature Feb 2012. He won Honorable Mention in the 2012 and 2013 Watermedia Showcase Competition (Feb.2012/13) a feature article in Holland's "Palet" magazine (Sept.2011), France's "The Art of Watercolour" and "Practique des Arts" magazines, and is the featured artwork on the cover of "Watercolor Artist" magazine's "One's to Watch" issue (Dec. 2010). His work is represented by the RS Hanna Gallery, Fredericksburg; Total Arts Gallery, Taos.
Mr. Schaller's artwork has been selected for inclusion in a number of prestigious recent exhibitions including:
- The 143rd, 145th, and 147th "Annual International Exhibition of the American Watercolor Society", New York City (Winner of the Dong Kingman Award 2014);
- The "World Watermedia Invitational Exposition", Thailand;
- The 2013/2014 "Shenzhen Watercolor Biennial", China;
- The 2014 "Eau en Couleurs; International Watercolour Biennial", Belgium (NWS group);
- The 102nd and 103rd "Gold Medal Juried Exhibition" of the California Art Club;
- The 2014 - "Water Views:Watercolors of the 21st Century", Vicenza;
- The 2013 -"Hangzhou Invitational Watercolor Exhibition", China;
- The 2013 -International Art-Bridge Watercolor Competition, St. Petersberg;
- The 2010 and 2012 "Zhujiajiao International Watercolor Biennial", Shanghai;
- Second Place Crystal Trophy Award - "San Diego Museum of Art - En Plein Air; International Competition;
- The 2012 International Watercolour Biennial - Belgium";
- "II Bienal Iberoamericana de la Acuarela", Madrid (Best of Show/Award of Excellence);
- "Trienal Internationacional de la Acuarela"; Colombia (Second Place, Award of Excellence);
- "Exposicion Internacional de Acuarelas", Seville;
- "The International Watercolor Biennial Mexico", Mexico City;
- "Salon de L'Aquarelle du Haillan", France; a winner in both the Northwest Watercolor Society's Annual and Waterworks Exhibitions;
- Seattle, a Best of Show/Award of Excellence "Golden State Treasures" California Art Club;
- Premier Exhibit in the USA at the Strathmore Gallery in Bethesda, MD of the North American Watercolor Artists; and was a Grand Jury Prize Winner in the 2010 National Paint the Parks Competition.
Mr. Schaller is a Signature Member of the AWS, NWWS, Artist Member of the California Art Club, and President Emeritus of the American Society of Architectural Illustrators. Tom is a member of a great many other professional arts organizations as well as a founding member of the group; North American Watercolor Artists.