20/08/18

Textual description of firstImageUrl

John Atkinson Grimshaw | Artworks | Page 2



John Atkinson Grimshaw (1836-1893) is considered one of the great painters of the Victorian era, as well as one of the best and most accomplished nightscape and townscape artists of all time.
He was called a "remarkable and imaginative painter" by the critic and historian Christopher Wood in Victorian Painting (1999).
He was born on 6 September 1836 in a back-to-back in Park Street, Leeds to Mary and David Grimshaw.
In 1856 he married his cousin Frances Hubbard (1835-1917). In 1861, at the age of 24, to the dismay of his parents, he left his job as a clerk for the Great Northern Railway to become a painter.


He first exhibited in 1862, mostly paintings of birds, fruit, and blossom, under the patronage of the Leeds Philosophical and Literary Society.
He and his wife moved in 1866 to a semi-detached villa, which is now numbered 56 Cliff Road in Headingley and has a Leeds Civic Trust blue plaque, and in 1870 to Knostrop Hall.
He became successful in the 1870s and rented a second home in Scarborough, which became a favourite subject.
He died on 13 October 1893 of tuberculosis and is buried in Woodhouse Cemetery, now called St George's Fields, in Leeds.
Four of his children, Arthur E. Grimshaw (1864–1913), Louis H. Grimshaw (1870–1944), Wilfred Grimshaw (1871–1937) and Elaine Grimshaw (1877–1970) also became painters.

Click Image To View Full Size