Anna Rose Bain was born and raised in rural Wisconsin. She began drawing from the moment she could pick up a pencil. Inspired by her grandfather, who started painting at the age of 70, she spent her free time as a child sketching from nature and poring over art books.
Anna studied art at Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, MI, and graduated in 2007 with a Bachelor of Arts degree and departmental honors. She was the first in the school's history to have a solo senior art exhibit. She refined her education at the Florence Academy of Art in Italy, taking a figure painting class in the summer of 2006.
Since beginning her own home painting studio in Garland, TX (and now recently in Denver, CO), she has continued to create stunning portraits and paintings, working from life whenever possible. She is an active member of the Portrait Society of America, and the Oil Painters of America.
“My paintings are an expression of gratitude”, Anna says in her artist’s statement. “They often depict men, women, or children in peaceful settings or places that evoke happiness. My art focuses on the enjoyment of life, and is permeated with a love for nature, music, and all things good. My style might be considered “classical realism”, which attempts to idealize the subject while preserving its true essence. I hope that whoever views my work finds their senses awakened as they respond to the use of color, light, and tangible subject matter. I am captivated by those things that go beyond the surface, and I hope to convey this deep and abiding interest to everyone who sees my work".
Selected Awards and Exhibitions:
- Richeson75 Figure/Portraits (2015) - Best in Show;
- Portrait Society of America International Competition (2015) - Certificate of Excellence;
- Scottsdale Salon of Fine Art (Nov-Dec 2013);
- International Guild of Realism's 8th Annual International Juried Show (Oct-Nov 2013);
- Catherine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club 117th Annual National Juried Exhibition (Oct 2013);
- Greenhouse Gallery of Fine Art Salon International (April-May 2013);
- Boldbrush Monthly Online Painting Competition (January 2013) - Finalist;
- Scottsdale Salon of Fine Art (April-May 2012);
- Hunting Art Prize (Spring 2012) - Finalist;
- Hunting Art Prize (Spring 2011) - Finalist;
- MyArtContest.com "Portraits III" Competition (Spring 2011) - First Place;
- Raymar Online Painting Competition, October 2010 - Finalist;
- International Artist Magazine "Portraits and Figures" Competition, December 2010/January 2011 - Finalist;
- Portrait Society of America "The Art of the Portrait" Conference 2010;
- Portfolio Competition (2010) - Honorable Mention;
- GuestsGallery.com - Realism Competition (2010) - First place;
- MyArtworkSpace.com's Annual Juried Spring Competition (2009) - First place;
- Irving Art Association's 'Unconditional Love' Juried Show, Irving, TX (2009) - Best of Show.